Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Flight neighbor

I guess the below post never was posted, but I swear I really did wake up at 5:00 am the other morning. It's been a whirlwind of a month and I couldn't be more satisfied about it.

Currently on an airplane sitting next to my new hero. Couldn't help but share because I am intrigued by this guy. He's from Idaho Falls, traveling home from Nepal where he spent 4 weeks trekking around with his lady friend. He's also 74 years old. He's proceeded to tell me about at least 8 other international trips that he's either been on in the last year or is going on in the next. Once he's back in Idaho he is headed south in his four wheel drive vehicle (I didn't ask the specifics) for some adventures in Southern Utah and Colorado. Back up to Salt Lake to pick up his new travel van (it's a Ford, I did catch that one) and then he's headed up to West Yellowstone. This guy is the man. He's given me a few jems like "you have to travel while you're young because if not you'll get old like me and not be able to fit in with all of the young hippie kids. Those kids are always smiling so they must be doing something right". He's also a proponent of not worrying so much about making money because what's the good in saving money for when you're old ? "Then you'll be too fat like me to do any of the fun stuff!"

We also ski on the same ski and just had a 20 minuet nerd out gear head conversation. Love this guys - WHAT A STUD

Just what I needed - a reminder of why I am so glad I'm headed to South America tomorrow even though I kind of feel like I have a hang over and that it's only going to get worse with 36 more hours of traveling ahead. I needed the pep talk.

3 comments:

Lacey said...

hey jess, just so you know i look at you like you are looking at your airplane buddy, you are out there living it up, maybe not in nepal, but certainly more than i am! i think you are awesome and i am very impressed you were up at 5 the other day! love ya, miss ya!

Ashley said...

I love it! I am striving to be more like that..or even a little bit like that.

I am so excited for your next adventure

amanda james said...

yeah, I love people like that...they do exist. I'm so excited for you to be a hippie traveler in s. america!