Friday, April 27, 2007

Jolie Holland

My itunes completely confuse me. Between the variety of people who have downloaded my music and/or added their own it seems I find new musicians hidden in there all of the time. Jolie Holland is my most recent favorite find. She's enchanting.
Admittedly I know nothing about her, or how current the music of hers I have is, but it's really nice. Check it out. (Your searching for her will probably be better than anything I have found on her in the short time I've looked.)
P.s. another chill blues I guy I found is Buddy Guy. What a great name? How could you not be fun if that's your name?

3 comments:

Sarah M said...

i looked her up and i like her, too.
I found this:
Just as with her lauded 2003 basement-tapes, Catalpa and Escondida, Holland writes with a soft focus and a sharp edge (and sometimes vice-versa). Holland’s sepia-toned song noir and billowy voice are in rare form as she weaves ethereal tales at a crossroads where haunting meets joyful—hers is a voice from the heavens singing stories of the underworld. The songs rise and fall like heavy eyelids and convey the peace of a place between asleep and awake. Sounds from past and present-tense waltz together to a never-ending melody that flickers between folk, jazz, blues and pop as Holland’s characters and situations play on surrealistic celluloid.
Good find.

amanda james said...

Ya I've been listening to her from my ipod that I downloaded on your computer, and she's mighty fine. I just downloaded some more of hers, and she's so good! How's finals yo?

ting19 said...

yea! i love her and i love your itunes, it is full of hidden treasures - don't think i forgot about the music you wanted from me, i'm working on it i promise!