Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fast Saturday




So life kind of made up for me not getting to bike in Boulder (which no one has filled me in on by the way!)... Saturday Caroline came on a ride with me into the city and by dumb luck we came upon the 7th annual Bicycle Film Festival 2007! Well, we came upon the festivities going on on 2nd Ave on Saturday afternoon. There was a street blocked off and a herd of people out on the street jumping their little bikes over a limbo stick (it was like a limbo stick because it was measured, and if you hit it - it just kind of fell down). The highest jumper made it over a 48" high stick! So crazy. Just riding and then jumping. I guess it's called "bunny hopping". Whatever.



The guy I was cheering on was wearing these slick electric green and black MC Hammer pants, a cut off jersey (and when I say cut off I mean sleaves and belly), a backwards 80's hat, long flowing blonde hair, AND a feather earing that dangled to his shoulder (in one ear only of course). I never got his name, but he rocked. Caroline's favorite was James. He was HUGE, his bike was tiny and he worked that limbo stick. I have good video of it, but me and YouTube still haven't come to an "understanding" if you will.

Caroline (because she's the coolest) came back with me later to go to one of the films, which was more like 2 hours of lots of little films. It rocked. It was kind of like going to the Banff Film Festival for street riders. Kind of made up for me missing all of last seasons ski movies, kind of. I felt so in on the NYC biking scene. We made biking friends too.
My favorite was the FAST FRIDAYS film. It was a group of kids from Seattle. They had mad skill and were super cute (I know that I sound soo 15 years old), but they were. I may be looking for jobs in Seattle soon.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that sounds like a blast. NYC sounds like such a cool place. You will be there all summer right?

jmb said...

It is super fun here. I do love it, but this will be my first summer away for the entire summer. So yes is the answer. I'm kind of scared for the hot hot part of summer too because I hear it's horrendous, but right now the weather is fabulous. Will you be in SLC all summer? Come visit in NY anytime!

Sarah M said...

sick.

Sarah M said...

is it strange that i got a little turned on when you described the guy in the cut shirt, flowing hair and feather earring?
His uniqueness intrigues me.

Unknown said...

If summer in NY is anything like summer in Chicago you will have a few weeks of hell. The humidity is a killer. However there is nothing like being outside and enjoying a big city! We will be in the SLC July and perhaps August. I do need to make a trip to NY. Anyone want to come?