Monday, July 20, 2009


By no short miracle I finally made it! Cabin deadline - met. Pack for Santa Fe and make it to the airport on time - check. Be a complete mess while doing it - done and done.

Last week I worked 4 - 13 hour days (preceded by 2 - 8 hour days mind you). My days consisted of waking at 7, getting up and out by 7:30, to Home Depot by 7:45, to the job site by 8:30. Then run around with a pit of anxiety and stress until about 7:30 p.m. when I would give up and drag my exhausted self home to do it again the next day. I couldn't have done it without help (Amanda saved the day, so did my sister, I even dragged my mom up there to help) and by Saturday that job went from construction site to home. I didn't take the time to even take pictures of the process, but some finished product should show up here semi soon.

So now to the airport, which by the time I arrived I literally felt nauseous I was so tiered. The security guy made me empty all my toiletries because I failed to put tooth paste in my plastic baggie. He ran tests on my contact solution and empty water bottle and finally decided I wasn't a security threat so Zach and I made it through there, rushed to our gate (which was at the end of 3 long hallways) to find our flight to Albequerqie was actually through Las Vegas and was delayed an hour. All of this is pretty standard airport stuff, and I really don't think I would have even griped about it if after waiting half delirious to get on the flight, and finally boarding I felt the blood rush out of my face as I realized I hadn't recovered my lap top from the security fiasco. I dropped all of my stuff at Zach's feet and sprinted back down the 3 long hallways back to security. They had sent it to some upstairs office that I also sprinted to and was LOCKED. At this point my mental and physical exhaustion got the best of me and I fell apart. Yes, I'm an adult, I'm a mess, and I was bawling at the airport trying to explain what happened as they made the final boarding call for my flight. I paced in front of the security door as they went to find it and I swear I could feel a blood vessel in my brain almost burst as I waited. When they finally came back and I had signed all of the paper work I kicked off my shoes (flip flops that are too big) and ran as fast as I could muster all of the way back to the gate. Some how (which I don't entirely understand since our flight was late anyway and they had made a point to load the plane quickly I made it back just in time to load the plane, still crying with my brother humiliated, kind of pretending he didn't know me. AND if all of this wasn't enough Zach called me while I was at security to tell me they wanted to shut the doors when he heard my phone ring under the chairs we had been sitting in. Not just any phone, the one I am paying way more than I probably should be for, ya that one, the mini computer.

So if you're still here and ready for more I am now in Santa Fe and finally starting to relax a little bit and I am remembering how much I love it here. It smells lovely like the desert. It storms everyday and from this house you can see them roll in and watch the show. The colors are so nice and everything just feels authentic. Last night while Emily, Daisy (the dog) and I were on our evening walk on the winding dirt roads that make up their "neighborhood" we heard a mariachi band. After further investigation there was this beautiful party being held at the ranch that is a few hills over. So cool, I love it here and can't wait to do some more exploring.

Oh, and after playing lizards this morning at the pool Emily now calls me Cousin Lizard. Love it.

6 comments:

baucomfamily said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!
XXOO
Mom

lbb said...

BLESS YOU!
that sounds like a nightmare, but a unfortunately, a familiar one. things can never be that easy and seamless eh?
relax. you deserve it.
and then we get to play next week!!!!
xoxo. LB

Sarah M said...

dang, that made me tired and stressed just reading it. glad you can relax in santa fe. it would be awesome if one year i could meet you down there and your little cousin and caroline could be bffs and we could be, too. think your aunt would go for that?

The Neil said...

First off, although the lead up seemed all stressful and crazy, doesn't it make it feel soooo much better now you can just exhale, kick up your feet and relax for a while?

Second off, I get down to my sis's on Friday morning. I don't know what our plans are, but I will give you a call when I find out.

jmb said...

well, I don't know if I would say that things have gotten "relaxing" BUT it is way better than last week I'll tell ya what.

jmb said...

oh and Sarah, just come on down, you're welcome to!

Neil - what ever's cool. Hopefully by then I can give you some ideas if your crew decides to head up to Santa Fe (along with a tour guide if you need it!)