Thursday, November 6, 2008

Noooooooo


Lindsay was telling me about all of these epic pieces of land that have recently opened up for drilling in Utah so i looked it up and it's true. Parts of the San Rafele Swell, a section just outside of canyon lands, parts of land that are along the Green River.
All places that I (and I'm sure many of you) would not want to sacrifice to the oil and gas companies - especially since it's seeming like pay offs to the companies that have supported Bush just a month before he is leaving office.
So sad, sure wish this was stuff I knew about BEFORE it was too late. These places are up for sale to lease in less than a month - not that I would know what to do anyway, but still I'm sad.
I just think - just because it MAY reduce gas prices now ( which I'd rather not be dependent on anyway) it will not solve our problems in the long run.
Should I turn into one of those crazies that camps out on the land hugging the trees until they get ripped off by some digging machine. i just may.
Read more here

6 comments:

drew said...

Doesn't Lindsey WORK for oil/gas companies?

...sorry, had to say it.

jmb said...

So true, she did - that's kind of why she knows a lot about the politicking of it I think. Update - she turned down a continued job with that company in Australia this winter and Alaska next summer due to her conflicting feelings on the nature of the work. Jobs are slim in the geology field for enviournmentalists turns out -she's currently a Kindergarten teachers aid instead, doesn't pay quite as well - If anyone knows of a sweet Geology job oppertunity let her know! Especially if it contributes to saving places like this instead of digg'n it all up.

drew said...

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10942117

jmb said...

sweetness

ting19 said...

just for the record - I was NEVER working for an oil/gas company, it was a mining company which is not much better but hey, none of us are innocent of using those resources - am I wrong? that's pretty killer about Obama looking to overturn Bush's havoc - I'll keep my fingers crossed!

drew said...

So noted.