Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thanks Aubrey!

Aubrey is the coolest! She let me stay in her awesome apartment even though she was too busy to be there herself. It was such a rad place, much nicer and roomier than my last digs in ny.
Since I was out all day exploring on my own usually at night I was so beat I'd hang out on this couch, hack, and watch movies. There were some classics I had never known I was missing out on. I watched "Bottle Rocket" for the first time, as well as "Strictly Ballroom" and some creepy documentary about a kid from Beaver, Utah. I felt incredibly intellectually and culturally fed.

State Building I found while wondering the first night.

This is my favorite shop that Aubry told me about, it was amazing, full of treasures. It was a taxidermy/natural science/gardening store. I spent a solid hour here.

Street art in the mission district - I felt like I was home in Brooklyn

It was really nice to be in a big city and have cool architecture, but then have space around it and the buildings weren't 73 stories high. It gave a nice open feeling.

How cool are San Franciscans - they not only have recycling every where (ok, not everywhere, but definitely in the rich people areas), but they have composting too!

Hit up the SF - MOMA with Callie & Andrew, I was so glad to have friends! We went there for the Frida Kahlo exhibit, but then searched around a bit after. These are two of my favorite paintings we found:


The next day I went down to Fishermans Warf to meet up with the gang, but got there a while before them and I cam across this crazy place.
It was this old school archade where you could put a quarter into one of the many creepy machines and get a performance. I wish I could have taken videos of all of them, but I only got a few. See video below for an example of the strangeness.




From here on out I was out of a camera, but there was so much more fun had! I loved San Fran, it has definatly moved up on possible places I would want to live.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

So fun Jess! San Fran is one of my most favorite places to go, I have to visit at least once a year.

leif said...

oh my gosh that was such a treat. I loved the execution video, amazing. Bottle rocket is good huh. it's on cubby's top 2. Have you seen royal tenebaums? That's a classic too. we should have a gno and watch them. that shop looked like a treasure find.

The Neil said...

I am 97.8% certain that arcade place is haunted.