Wednesday, May 28, 2008

East Siiieeede

Philly I've missed you! It's been 7 years since Chelsea, Nanette, and I kicked it in Philly for 6 weeks in Nan's sister's apartment. I'm not sure why they agreed to it in the first place, but it was a priceless (and first) big city experience and I will never forget it. We took any jobs we could get through temp agencies to pay for what little food we could afford. 18 year old Chelsea and I were put in charge of answering phones for this advertising agency. We only worked there one day, enough said. We also had the wise idea to bring our roller blades for transportation. We bladed that town up and down I tell you. It was a weirdly nostalgic experience to go back, I really surprised myself with how much of it I remembered - I love Philly!
All this time little did I know that a $10 China bus ticket and 2 hours of the New Jersey turnpike were all that stood in between me and my old friend.
Lizzie met up with me at a music festival I had read about online. It was kind of a bust - EXCEPT for the main attraction which originally caught my eye. . .these boys. Avett brothers were finishing up a tour in Philly and Liz and I - we were there.
As they were the last time I saw them, they were both still wearing wedding rings - but no worries, as the wise Dusty once told me, "Just cause there's a goalie, it doesn't mean you can't score".


peek a boo
peaking into someones glass garden
Scary South Street manikin
My favorite Philly find is the mosaic art that is down off of South Street. We found this back in the day and I was pleased to find it was not only still there, but had grown in new places too.
Gilly's Cowboy shop, we used to come down here when we wanted to be reminded of the wild west - and Gilly really liked to talk. He talked for hours to us - and why we listened? I'm not sure. He would always say how THE Eve used to work for him back in the day. We only half way believed him when THE Eve walked in one day! Cat claws and all.

glass mosaics on South Street





Ya, we're lame, but it was really funny at the time.

I didn't bring my bike this time, but it will happen I tell you what. This city is asking for a bike tour. hint hint.

3 comments:

Lacey said...

jess i love you and i love lizzy too! that video . . . well i don't have words but i always love hearing my friends voices!!!

drew said...

Pick your weekend, and I'll be there. I have some friends that moved up there that I'd like to visit.

baughtronic said...

That video was hilarious. Can't wait to see you!