Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Horse People

The family secret that some, but not many know about the Baucom's is that we're kind of "horse people". My grandma got into Tennessee Walking Horse with a friend of hers back in the 60's. They went to some clinic and next thing you know she's got my grandpa buying property in the mountains and a farm in Draper. Thank you grandma!!

Horse people are a rare kind. Since I was a kid I have been going to these horse shows with the fam and there are some classic people in the horse showing business. One of my favorites is this lady who's always there with her dog. I don't know what kind of dog he is, but he's too fat to walk so she brings him anyway and pushes him around in a stroller - I wish I had a picture of that!

Paige and I were digging up old photos and here are some classics from the horse showing days:

Bob (my grandma's nick name is Bob by the way) on Driftwood (Sailors pops)
Uncle John pulling off a wicked dismount
That's not a little boy, that's me on bullet - she was a feisty little thing even though she may not look it.

Paige, Heather, Me - After a show at the Equestrian Park. You see me holding that pink ribbon? I don't remember what place "pink" is but I'm pretty sure it's not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd

Bob on "Terrific" - this horse was the champion of something, I just don't remember what.

Bob at the old farm in Draper

Paige and Johnny at the county fair, we never thought to ask how everyone won a blue ribbon in those early shows - we just thought we were all THAT good.

Paige and I talking during judging at the Equestrian Park in West Jordan, and yes, we do know how cool we are

12 comments:

Lacey said...

i only wish i had something so classy in my life. that is really awesome jess,

baucomfamily said...

How lucky are we??? Extremely blessed. XXXOOO

baughtronic said...

That jacket is amazing! And the hat. Everything.

drew said...

I doubted your commitment to all things horse right up until I saw that you were so committed to "Bullet" that you even got his same haircut. This might be my favorite of all your posts!

The Neil said...

I agree with Andrew. I don't know if it was cause it was totally unexpected and out of no where, or what, but great post.

Sarah M said...

i love that you are a horse person. and i love that i had the opportunity to see sailor's pops on the blog. sailor is number one. i can remember the first time i went out to the farm in draper and saw the mini horse and the utah state prison. i was sure your farm was housing an escaped criminal somewhere.

The Neil said...

Wait!!! I just checked out your fams blog and was highly impressed w/ the bareback riding. Who needs a flippin saddle!!

Unknown said...

I never knew you were so into horses. Very cool Jess.

farn said...

i love the outfits you wore! One of the best blogs yet!

jmb said...

So far I think I get the "best post" votes when I post embarrassing images of myself. Huh, what ever works. Glad to keep all yall humored with my beauty and grace. PS. good call on the hair cut, we are totally twiners

{littlefam} said...

Excellent post.
P.S. I never knew you called your Grandma "Bob".

Ashley said...

Hey, it's your cousin Ash. What a great post. I love all of the memories. I tried to send you a Holiday card but it was sent back. When you get a chance please email your address so I can send it out to ya...a bit belated. Well, Annika has her own blogger account, you'll have to check it out (it's cheaper than scrapbooking). Her website is www.mookie-annika.blogspot.com
Best wishes out there in the big city!