Sunday, August 19, 2007

Missionaries

Today I slipped into a sacrament meeting a little late and this cute little Asian missionary was giving a talk. First of all when did missionaries start looking sooo young? so young. Anyways this little guy was doing his best giving his talk. He was really timid and nervous and so quiet, but I thought he was getting his message across. At the end he mumbled something about a song as he began opening the hymn book, he asked anyone who wanted to open it up and read along as he sang it should. Then with that little notice he busted out in song. Full force he sang 3 verses with no piano or even a note to start on. It was so amazing (amazing because he was bold, not because he was necessarily un-tone deaf). Almost as entertaining was his companion who got the most serious look on his face and the widest eyes. It so made church worth it today.
So this all made me think of my cousin Alex on a mission. Not because this is something he would do, but I realize how hard it would be to hang out with a total unpredictable stranger (a companion) all of the time, and be room mates. Also just to be a missionary. I know it wouldn't be easy in New York, and I'm sure it's not easy anywhere really. Anyway, go Alex.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

oh man that is good stuff. entertaining church could make anyone a believer.

Unknown said...

I remember this girl in my BYU ward would go to the pulpit and sing during testimony meeting. I never knew whether to laugh, be impressed, or embarrassed. I bet that missionary will probably go to BYU. I'm so embarrassed.

Nan and Ryan said...

Jess that is so funny. I love reading your stories, because you write so well! I can just picture myself their every time, and it just makes me laugh!

Allison said...

I love it!! My little bro is in Italy and I am sure there are Italian people posting crazy stories about him on their blogs.

lauren ann said...

missions are so hard.... i often wonder how I made it through 18 months of it. It really is a crazy thing that people put themselves through.