Sunday, June 17, 2007

Freelance Here I Come

Over the past month going without work and not really knowing what I was going to do about it I have come across an awesome new concept (for me any way). Freelance, for sure the way to go. I make my schedule! Life is good - minus the keeping track of funds, taxes and trying to figure out Quick Books - and the pressure of doing well of course.

First project is a house in the "Hamptons". Sounds sureal, but these people are the coolest! They don't like to be out there in the summer because of the "summer scene" so I have permission to go out there "whenever I need to". These clients are amazing, and they have a beautiful house.

Lucky me Dusty showed up in NYC just in time to come along for the meauring of this ginormous place. We missed the bus (I tried to have him meet me his first day being in New York at Grand Central 10 min. before the bus arrived . . . my bad). Turns out renting a car in the city is as much as 2 bus tickets to the Hamptons (these aint no China buses!) so we finally stopped trying to chase the bus down and got our own ride. A Maroon Kia. Drove like a champ, only used a quarter of a tank in 200 miles AND Dusty had to drive because I'm not 25 yet. So first day in Manhattan for him: meet Jessica at Grand Central, sprint 6 blocks through traffic, sign on the dotted line for a vehicle, and then drive through the city to the highway and then to the Hamptons. This guy is a champ, all in the name of Interior Design. I have a feeling he's going to go far. Us Utahns are bred tough.


Some how this is the only shot I got of Dusty measuring. This was taken just after he walked into the room and proclaimed "I dispise whicker" which for some reason had me cracking up.

8 comments:

Sarah M said...

two comments
1. that house is almost as awesome as you.
2. you in the flipin hall daniel is dusty?

jmb said...

Dusty is in the masters interior design program at Utah State doing an internship in NY for the summer. He's my friend.

drew said...

So I guess Dusty's not going to like that basket and hat I bought him as a good luck present. Dang.

lbb said...

that house is GORGEOUS! can we come hang out there this summer?!
can't wait to see what you do with the place!

Unknown said...

jessica = freelance = hot

you and the hamptons rock my world. too bad the barefoot contessa closed . . .

i will make you some b.c. muffins, then we'll drive out to the hamptons and pretend that we're aristocrats

The Neil said...

Umm... did you know that Dusty is in a cult? Check out Ana's blog for proof http://anapoo.blogspot.com/ (a different Ana from the one you met). Andrew is in it to, I think is the man in charge (at least behind the scenes).

jmb said...

ya, I got the sneak peak when Dusty came to Long Island with me. Those crazy kids.

Eric and Megan said...

Jess, that is so awesome! I LOVE long island...my mom grew up there. Post more pics for sure! that house is amazing.