Monday, March 9, 2009

Australian Itch

I have had this idea of going to Australia to work, adventure, what have you for about a year now.  I have been slowly researching firms and gathering information about it - and here is a list of my favorites.

If you have any Australia ideas/input I would love to hear it.  So far I have just been looking into architecture firms (I know I'm not an architect, but they often have in house interior designers as well), but I need to get started on Interior Design firms as well.








I've also of course thought about New Zealand as well.  I've heard it's a lot more remote feeling, and I like the sound of that.  This is my favorite Architect I have found there.


Why Australia?  It's abroad, they speak english, and it seems like a nice laid back place, just like me.  I would also love a chance to live and work in a number of other countries (Switzerland, South Africa, Finland, Holland), but the cost of living and language barrier has got me a little shy of these places for now.
Do I know anyone who lives in Australia? No, not personally, but I moved to NY on my own and I have heard it said - if you can make it there you can make it anywhere.  
Do I wish someone else, anybody else was willing to come along? HELL YES, you know where to find me if you read this blog - and if not, you probably shouldn't be reading it.  Jk it's a public place, it's just a little weird to think of strangers in my public place.

7 comments:

... said...

I don't know too much about architecture...but I know a helluva lot about tearing it up in a foreign country...

Lets do this.

Jessica said...

Way cool firms Jess. And oh, did I mention that I think you may be one of the coolest girl I know!? So cool you are even considering this! Good luck!

amanda james said...

i think wolveridge architects looks right up your ally. i love carolines pieces, they are so perty!!

WICKHAM, DUSTIN D. said...

Awesome stuff. I say go for it. I really like the wrap around house. I wonder if it's more of a concept or if the actual construction uses an actual creasing of material.

It actually reminds me a lot of my thesis which I'm working on right now. It's kind of like an origami lounge chair that's designed to be sold over e-commerce. So it's lightweight and inexpensively shipped and when you get it, you assemble it yourself.

If it sounds at all interesting to you, there will be an intense blog post coming as soon as I finish (hopefully before the end of the month).

Unknown said...

I spent some time down there a few years ago with my ex-husband and his family - in Sydney and Brisbane. I loved it so much and can easily envision you there!

lbb said...

That looks like such a cool experience, Jess. I'm all behind it. Especially since we'll be leaving soon too! (misery/happiness loves company?!)

baughtronic said...

I will go with you. 100% You think I'm kidding...