Monday, February 2, 2009

Mongolia & Pink Eye

For the second time in one year I once again have conjunctivitis (or as my nephew Charlie calls it "the pink eye").  Unlike last time though - I know exactly where I got it from.  Yep, this innocent looking germ carrier - Jackie.
Sooo since I decided to be bed ridden today I went to my latest obsession - Netflix instant watch movies.  That's right, if you get netflix you can stream a whole bunch of movies.  They're not necessarily the new releases, but there are a lot of quality shows on there.  

Recent screenings in my bedroom have been Half Nelson, Pan's Labrynth, Born to Brothels (a MUST see, kind of amazing) and most recently (this afternoon to be exact) Wild Horses of Mongolia with Julia Roberts.  I didn't realize Julia Roberts was in it when I started playing it, but she did an alright job.  It's hard not to just be really jealous of her the whole time.  I WANT TO GO TO MONGOLIA, like way bad - and not just because of the horses.  i think I've always wanted to go there because of how obscure it's always seemed.  I like that the people who live there have such simple nomadic lives.  They kind of remind me of Tibetens for some reason.  They just seem peaceful and cool.
Anyway, enough of that rant.  Back to the film - one of my favorite parts is that the kids are so tough there.  They have these insane horse races and these 4 year olds are right there in the races.  When they first learn to ride at 2 (yes 2) they get tied into the saddle so they don't fall.  And I thought my dad was always a little crazy getting us to ride so young - I'm pretty sure I rode with him on his horse until I was like 12.


These are their portable houses that they pack up every month or so and move to a new spot.  Very cool.  Kind of like the yurts that are in the mountains around here, but definitely more portable.
The horses even look tough right?

5 comments:

lbb said...

sorry jess. maybe jack just shouldn't love you so much.
i'm getting more drops today, if you want some. we live in a germ-ridden cocoon!

jmb said...

Liz, pink eye is a small price to pay for Jack! Well worth it

Sarah M said...

I am totally putting that mongolian movie in my queue. I have gad a love for Mongolia since watching 'long way round'. If you can put that in your queue. I love it...

Unknown said...

Ah Jess, pink eye sucks. Although I do agree with you, being able to hang out with the nieces and nephews is so worth it.

amanda james said...

yes, born to brothels is sooo good. We've ran into two couples traveling the world that have said that mongolia was the highlight of the trip. they said the food is so nasty but it's amazing, beautiful, and the people are the nicest. I want to go there so bad too! We met a couple jess that were road biking the whole world. they said it might take them 3 more years. the want to buy a horse in mexico and ride it through america. crazy right?