Monday, February 18, 2008

Great Danes

I'm lounged on the sofa watching 60 min (a new phenomenon since our little tv decided to start picking up 5 local channels!)

One of the big stories is about happiness. Denmark was voted happiest country in the world by a study done in England. These are interesting studies because they seem quite relative. Plus I'm also not sure how well happiness would lend itself to a scientific study like that, but whether Denmark is number 1 or not they had some interesting things to say.

  • They are people who don't expect to be the best, or the richest, the healthiest even.
  • They have 6 weeks vacation a year from their jobs.
  • There aren't many extremely wealthy people, or extremely poor ones either.
  • The country's history is one of defeat, take overs, and resettlements.
  • Their university's are free - students that pass required tests are paid to go to college.
  • They also pay about 50% of their income in taxes.

Can you imagine the US paying their government 50% of what they make? and agreeing on how it's spent!? and trusting that they will be taken care of!? I wouldn't

A bunch of Danes were interviewed and generally they felt like they would be found as "the happiest" because they have humble expectations. They laughed how if they would have been voted 20th most happy country (like the U.S. was) that they would probably be like "Cool, at least we're in the top 25". My first thoughts when I heard that the U.S. was 20th was "oh man, I knew we wouldn't be the happiest. We wouldn't deserve it any how - we can be such jerks" - that's a sad commentary on my out look for sure.

I admire their priorities. I know it's hard for me to not get caught up in feeling like I'm supposed to be doing more - and getting more too. To be better, but better than what? every body else?

In an attempt to follow in the Danes foot steps (reasonable expectations), I don't suppose that the US could or would be able to change their "bigger, faster, stronger" aditude, but I hope that on my own I can find a balance for unreasonable expectations. Being content sounds a lot better than the stress I put on myself for more, more, more.

Just a little Sunday ramble for ya. Happy mid Feb. week! I miss everyone a whole whole lot.

5 comments:

The Neil said...

Well said Jess. I've heard Norway is a pretty rad place to, and have thought about trying to marry into citizenship there, but heard the laws are pretty stringent to actually do that.

I also heard that Coloradoans are 94% more happier than New Yorkers. I think the main reason is cause we have the word Rad in our name.

ting19 said...

I couldn't have said it better myself - these are the times when I wish I had a tv. I think we have very high potential for being as happy as the Danes cause we are descended from them, or I'm going to tell myself that at least and I think you should too.

Sarah M said...

hey jess, tell neil that my aunt has been married to a norwegian for almost twenty years, living in norway for most of those years and they stil won't grant her citizenship. he may need a new dream.
you should move to denmark and then i will visit you.

jmb said...

ya - we're totally Danish, I almost forgot

Allison said...

Very interesting Jess. I think I would like to live there. I am OK with paying 50% taxes to have happiness. Money just brings stress.