Saturday, May 1, 2010


Is it just me or does it look like I'm missing a tooth in this photo?



Hiking on an island in the Beagle Channel



View from our hostel window in Ushuaia



So here’s the story about the long blog posts and lack of photos. We have been taking some pretty wicked long bus rides lately – hense the long blog posts because typing is one of the three or so activities I have to do while on a bus. The lack of photos is because internet is something we detest here, photos upload soooo slow and it ends up just driving us crazey, so usually I just copy and paste my writing and then add a photo or two. Anyway, that is my excuse, if you’re still interested do stick around.

Right now we’re riding a massive bus from Buenos Aires to Iguazu. Iguazu (which I’m sure I am spelling wrong) is a giant water fall that kind of sounds like a tourist trap to me, but EVERYONE insists that we need to see it. I’m sure it will be beautimous and it is pretty cool to be heading into the jungle. Because we’re American (oh, excuse me, United States of American – it’s a sensitive subject around here) we can’t go to the Brasilian side unless we want to pay some big bucks. As it turns out Americans charge tons of fees to foreign visitors and right now Teri and I are paying the consequences. Everything we want to do costs us more, just because we’re from the US. Anyway, back to the water fall – should be pretty cool.
Before leaving Patagonia (my favorite place to date) we went even farther south down to Tierra del Fueggo – the very farthest south peninsula or Argentina. There we stayed in the sweetest little port town called Ushuaia (which I am also sure I’m spelling wrong). It’s the farthest southern city in the world and it sits on Beagle Bay which is surrounded by the farthest southern peaks of the Andes. It was so peaceful and nice down there, and really not all that cold despite a million warnings we received. We went to a national park outside of the city called Tierra del Fueggo and it was pure magic. I could have just stayed there and been completely content. Both Teri’s and my camera ran out of batteries almost the moment we got into the park, so we took it as a sign to just soak it in and not worry about photos. While hiking there we ran into this kid who dropped out of highschool and now just travels and busks everywhere he goes to make money. He sang us a few songs that then we left him there in the forest, he said he would spend the night. It was so random. I told him to call his mom and tell her he was alright when he got a chance. I felt old.
From Ushuaia we flew back to Buenos Aires where we had a just a few days to get some business done (exchange money, ship some stuff home, etc.). That city really takes it out of you. The extra effort of always being on guard gets old quick. If we ever had time to sit in the park or go to markets we loved it, but most of the time we were there we were always running around trying to get everything done, so I can’t say I’m too sorry to be leaving it. We did squeeze in one more night of Tango where both Teri and I were owned again by some old men tango dancers. My partner kept trying to get me to do these fancy moves that I’m pretty sure I would be incapable of even if I could understand what he was saying. I looked so ridiculous I could tell. Teri on the other hand really got the hang of it. I think she’s going to go pro.

2 comments:

lauren ann said...

sounds amazing... can't wait to see all the pics and hear all the stories

Unknown said...

Keep the updates coming, I love hearing about your adventures.