Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I had a wicked combo of time and internet this morning so I was able to finally upload a few pictures!
We're in Salta now, but we just came from Iguazu. Iguazu is this massive water fall that is on the border of Argentina, Brasil, and Paraguay. It's enormous, beautiful, and kind of a tourist trap, but well well worth it. We got there via bus and our friend in Buenos Aires booked it and it was luxurious, probably the last luxurious bus we'll take in a while. The seats laid completely out AND there was a food service included. I made them book us the front seats on the second floor so we had the coolest view as we wizzed through small towns too small to have giant buses wiz through them, felt bad about that.






Someone told us about a moon light tour the first night which was a really cool way to see the falls for the first time. They only do it a few nights a month, and we got there the night of the full moon so it was PERFECT. It was unreal walking up to it for the first time. The falls kick up so much mist that it blends with the low lying clouds.


The water's really high this year, so they had to close this platform. Just the wind alone made by the falls could through you off of that thing.



Next we got on another giant bus and headed to Salta. It's in the North West of Argentina and totally different from Iguazu. Yesterday we went with some friends that we met back in Patagonia and ran into here on a horse back riding excursion. Ya, I know, why did I come to Argentina to ride horses when I do it back home, but it was really cool to see how they did things on this ranch. It's an old convent that was converted into a home 75 years ago or something crazy. It's super green there, but arid too. There were giant cactus's (?) everywhere, but there were also green parrots flying around. Very strange.



These are their saddles and I was obsessed. They are so comfy. They are a series of blankets and leather under and on top of this saddle frame that had sturrups attached. I wanted one so bad! The guys on the ranch make all of them themselves.


Group photo - yes, we had to wear fancy helmets







Then they cooked us lunch on their grill and in these ovens. Mark my words I will build one of these when I get home. I don't know where, but the food that they cook in them is sooo good.


Finally our cute little hostel in Salta. It's one of my favorites. Salt is the oldest city in Argentina and the architecture reflects that. The beds in this place are not the nicest, but it's definitely my favorite ambiance. It's so sweet.











Next we're on to Bolivia. We leave on a bus tonight and midnight and should arrive at the border by 8 a.m., just in time for the border to open. We hear they give Americans a hard time - we pay more than anyone else to cross borders and/or go to national parks etc. This is because apparently the US charges everyone else a lot to come to the US, but still, Teri and I should not be paying the consequences! We'll see though, maybe they'll believe we're Canadians?

3 comments:

WICKHAM, DUSTIN D. said...

rad trip jess. thanks for keeping us posted. I'm soooo jealous!

lauren ann said...

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G

chelsea b james said...

my heart hurts