Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Rock Stars

Since these two boys showed up in town weekends have become much more interesting. Dusty & Motoki came out to NY for summer internships in interior design (they're both in school at Utah State in Interior Design) and I have found that out of towners (and maybe it's just because they're bad asses from Utah) are much more lively than locals. So in our playing beach, biking, museums, and most of all muuuuusic.

You like those special effects? I am in design school after all.







There's a place near my neighborhood called McCaren Pool - it's an old local pool that's now empty and is used for filling with hords of hipsters and scensters alike that migrate there to hear music. This pool is gi-normous and a good time. This summer there are free concerts once or twice a week - as well as other shows on weekends.

Here's a list of music to check out if you haven't heard of some of them . . . I hadn't


McCaren Pool - so far




Man Man - I had to miss this one because I was moving (boooo), but everyone else (Dusty, Motoki, Caroline, Jean Marie, Matt, Ben, etc etc) said it was an awesome show, and I have been listening to more lately and me gusta



Cat Power
with a name like that you'd think to stay away, and although everyone else is convinced that she's crazy I love her just the same. Give a crazy girl a break.



Built to Spill - Neil introduced them to me way back when and I was oh so greatful. I was surprised that they are mostly old dudes (I thought they were in like their 20's), but I have an even bigger crush on the lead singer after seeing him, he's precious

South Seaport Shows

Fujiya-miyagi - Loved. I haven't seen anyone live that play like them. I appreciate Christy's music video post even more. Don't be fooled though, they're two white guys from UK.

Black Moth Super Rainbow - sounds random right? opened for Fujiya-Miyagi and they were fun but so random.
This weekend is a concert at Coney Island. Al Green, Franki Valli & The Four Seasons! are going to be there. Should be full of interesting people. It's not too late to buy your ticket to NY and come out to Coney Island for a free show!!


Ralph's Icie joint. Self timer on some ones car.


3 comments:

The Neil said...

Nice Post Jess!!
Man Man was actually here and played a free show when Andrew and Christy came thru town. pretty good show.

Sounds like you are having a fun summer, it is cool that Dusty is out there. You'll have to tell him hi for me.

I have a posting in the works, stay tuned.

amanda james said...

love cat power. I like her even more now that she's crazy! I love the special affects, so proud of my little hacker friend. We should start a hacker club. Those cool cats look very cool. I love the picture where all of you guys are doing wierd things, you sticking your tongue out, and the guy in the back looking like he's sticking a stick through his head. so tight. I want to live in new york! I swear I'm so jaded living in vegas, because I don't see youngsters anymore, only old people chuggin along on their moterized wheelchairs (and the young wanna be brittney's everywhere on campus0. The people there just look cool. Dreammy! Is that lil pit bull that girl your working with's dog? I want one....later...you better show me up soon and bust out a music video with caroline...

Unknown said...

It seems when people come intown to visit, life is always more exciting! I'm so glad you read Into the Wild, I thought of you the entire time I was reading it. (Not because you are crazy) But because you are so adventurous and don't seem to be afraid of everything! One of the many things I envy about you!